Saturday 13 February 2010

Day 27 - Cairo - Sobei Goes Back to School

I didn't manage to take any photos yesterday as I was too busy, but we went to a really interesting part of town called El Moiz, lots of winding streets with tiny shops selling brass goods. We also had our second run-in with Cairo's Finest. 

Today we paid a visit to Sobei's (an Egyptian colleague) old school, did some shooting around the buildings and interviewed the head teacher. It's one of Cairo's French language Christian schools.

Greeted by Jesus

Christian yet still very Egyptian

For lunch we went to the slowest fast food restaurant in the world, where the difference between the medium and large sandwiches was that the large one came in a bigger bag. This was the only bad food experience I've had in four weeks of eating in Egypt however. In the afternoon we went to the Cairo Opera House and interviewed a classical musician, then called it a day.

Meanwhile, back in the pocket universe known as Holiday Inn Cairo, the breakfast woman said good morning as usual, asked how I was, I said great thanks and asked how she was (again), I had the same breakfast I always do, my bed was made and my room tidied while I was out, and then I had the dinner buffet again with the same easy listening music playing. After travelling around so much, staying in one hotel for so long is starting to feel like Groundhog Day. Ah well, the locations are still interesting at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment